Meet Kaycee Woo, a quintessential big-city girl. Born in Seoul, Kaycee now lives in the throbbing heart of Manhattan, studying at Parsons School of Design (jealous yet?). I’ve known Kaycee for many years and she’s always had an amazing eye for beauty and style. Even today, while she is jetsetting from London-Paris-New York, she is disciplined in keeping her skin in top condition. Here’s a little sneak peak into her routine!
1. What do you do and why do you do it? I study fashion and textile design. I love fashion and I’d like to be a textile designer.
2. Skin type? Dry but a bit oily around my T-zone.
3. What is your approach to skincare? My skin is very sensitive,so I use organic and mild products. But my skin type is also dry, so I try to incorporate extra moisture lotions and facial oils.
4. What are some of your favourite skincare products and why? As I said, my skin is dry, but I don’t like to apply thick moisturizers. Putting on Su:m37 Secret Essence twice daily is perfect to keep hydrated during hot weather. My studio and school are very dry so the Caudalie Beauty Elixir mist helps me a lot. For winter and fall, I use facial oils. In fact, I just started to use Nuxe Multi-Purpose Dry Oil. I mix it with a light lotion and apply it to my face before I go to sleep. It helps me keep moisturized until the morning.
5. Do you sheet mask? Yes, my favourite at the moment is by Korean brand 23 Years Old. It’s called the Cocoon Willow Silky Mask — the sheet is so luxuriously thick and the serum is super hydrating. A little on the pricey side but I definitely recommend it.
6. Is there any particular item you’re obsessed with at the moment? I collect lipsticks these days. I am obsessed with YSL and Shu Uemura lipsticks.
7. One thing you always carry in your handbag? Caudalie lipbalm.
8. Is there a beauty mistake you made when you were younger? I have monolid eyes and I used to use contraptions like double eyelid tapes and liquid to make them look bigger – big mistake.
9. What’s your ideal place for a night out and what would you wear? Maybe at a jazz bar in the Lower East Side? I’d wear a black open back dress and some nice heels.
10. Favourite food when you’re in Seoul? I love seafood dishes. Especially grilled clams or clam kalguksu. Yum.
For more visual inspiration, you can check out Kaycee’s instagram at @lovin_yk. I’d love to hear your thoughts on Kaycee’s routine in the comments section below. This is the first in a series of interviews with real Korean women sharing their skincare tips! If you would like to hear more about the secret beauty lives of Seoul women, subscribe to the Yeon & Bee email list in the box above (desktop)/below(mobile).